Thursday, November 8, 2007

Blair and Beauty and Other Stuff

During our class discussion last week about Blair's view on Taste, I started wondering what exactly is beauty since it was said that Taste can be equated to beauty. To me, physical beauty is something that is hard to define, however, our media tries very hard to depict what is beautiful. They make lists of the sexiest celebrities and even lists of the un-sexiest almost like they are trying to define the extremes for others. Personally, I view pop culture’s view of beauty to be expensive, hard to reach, and self-serving. There is such pressure on men and women to appear beautiful that they are willing to partake in extreme solutions like surgery or diets. Whatever happened to internal beauty? Whatever happened to messages about feeling good about yourself or that it is okay to not have the nose of some celebrity. Why do we allow ourselves to get so wrapped up in what others think? Who knows, I sure don’t.

Well, I suppose I digressed from discussing the topic from rhetorical theory. So on that same page, I want to announce that if anyone is looking for a Graduate Assistantship, mine will be free next semester. I am currently the GA in University Communications, but I am going back to Kansas City for numerous reasons. If you want more information on the GA position, contact me at andrea512@missouristate.edu.

3 comments:

EditorialEyes said...

Trite as it may sound, beauty truly is in the eyes of the beholder (which is one reason I detest those pompous, nonsensical contests that seek "THE Sexiest" or "THE Most Beautiful"). We've all seen romantic matches that, in our own opinions, just didn't seem beauty-balanced, meaning that, to us, one mate looked a heck of a lot purtier than the other. Still, I agree with you, Andrea, that pop culture is trying to define physical beauty for everyone and is also making it unattainable. Plus, an exterior makeover won't automatically transform an unattractive personality... Judy (P.S.: MSU's loss is KC's gain; good luck to you!)

Amy said...

You're leaving? Now? Hope everything works out for you.

Hannah said...

Hey--we're sorry to hear that we're losing you! Best of luck to you in Kansas City in whatever you end up doing (and in getting married soon!!!!). Take care.

Hannah