Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Response on Astell

After the class discussion on Mary Astell, it made me wonder about rhetoricians in today’s society. She advocated that to be a good rhetorician, a person had to be unbiased, had to reduce their passions about a topic, had to make concise arguments, and had to be a good Christian. What I am supposing in her sense that “good” meant morally good. For in today’s society, I am not sure viewers of pop culture hold people up to those standards. An example of this is political speeches. Many times politicians are obscure and diverge from the particular question that was asked of them, but members of society see this as part of the norm. And, if they sound “pretty” while answering the questions, they are seen as eloquent and good speakers.

Another thing I thought was interesting was how she believed that to be a good rhetorician someone had to be Christian. While I am a Christian, I believe her viewpoint was biased on the grounds that there are many people who are successful at speaking but aren’t of the Christian faith. Granted she lived during the 15th-16th centuries, but in today’s world we see that there were non-Christian leaders who moved groups and nations towards betterment by their rhetoric abilities. Personally, I prefer the ancients’ look that to be a good rhetorician (in the moral sense) is to be a good person since it is more inclusive.

2 comments:

Amy said...

But if you think Truth is a necessary condition for good oratory, it seems like following the wrong religion would make it impossible for you to engage in anything but cookery.

Di said...

That's a good point, Amy. Ultimately, what one believes about knowledge and/or Truth will shape what one believes about rhetoric. I mean, we see that in Astell, St. Augustine, etc: (the) Truth does exist and one purpose, maybe the ultimate purpose, of discourse is conveying that Truth. Then we look at Nietzsche, and we see that language exists for, or at least serves the purpose of, allowing people to try to exercise some control over an otherwise uncontrollable world. So truth (little "t") is somewhere behind those attempts.